One of my favorite summer time dishes is my mom’s cucumbers and onions. Fresh cucumbers, red onions, all soaked in a sour creamy sauce. And then dumped on a baked potato with butter! Doesn’t get much better than that!
As I pulled in a hall of cucumbers from my garden (first time ever!), my mom excitedly asked if I’d make my own cucumbers and onions to enjoy this year. I reminded her I was in the middle of Whole30, so I wouldn’t be able to. Her response “Dang…. I know that’s your favorite.” She knows me so well. I got on Pinterest to see if there was an option for making something like sour cream, dairy-free. Imagine my surprise when I found something! I had everything I needed, except I couldn’t use the sugar that was on the ingredients list. I hoped it would still taste ok — And it did. More than ok. It was fabulous!
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Passive Time||1-2 hours|
- First, make the paleo sour cream. Combine coconut cream, lemon juice and salt in a bowl. Taste and add more lemon juice or salt as needed.
- Take the "sour cream" and mix in the the vinegar, salt, pepper and paprika. Again, sample and add to as desired.
- Clean and slice your cucumbers. It's fine to leave the skin on or remove, your preference.
- Slice red onion as thin as you prefer.
- Put veggies into a large bowl
- Pour the sauce over the cucumbers and onions and mix well.
- Put the cucumbers in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour, but longer is better.
- Serving: This mixture is great on its own, but our family favorite is to add to a baked potato covered in butter. Great summer time meal with a burger, chicken breast or steak!